Monday, April 18, 2011

Poser Mocha Frappucinos!


Mormons don't drink coffee. So, once upon a time when I lived in Provo, there was a super trendy Mormon coffee shop called Vermilion Skies. They had bands play there on weekends, there was a bunch of little squares of paper taped to the wall with the patrons' doodles. Local artists would display their art there. Vermilion Skies was brilliant. There was a huge chalkboard displaying the menu options and prices. My favorite was the "Poser Mocha Frappucino with banana". They were "poser" beverages because they had no coffee in them at all, just Pero, a Mexican drink made from barley. About year after it opened, Vermilion Skies closed because the tenants above flooded, ruining much of the work (the floors, the walls, etc...) which the owner (Christine?) had put into it. I was a weekly customer. I loved the frappucino, sometimes I paired it with what I called the "Chocolate sex cake". When it closed down, the owner gave me her recipe. I finally found banana syrup at Restaurant Depo, there is word that it might also be found at Cash & Carry. I am only sharing this recipe because Vermilion Skies is no longer open and it's a fabulous recipe. Coffee drinkers have verified that this has an insanely authentic flavor.
Poser Mocha Frappucino
1 3/4 cups Milk (preferably whole or 2%)
1/3 cup Chocolate Syrup
2 Tbsp Pero
2 Tbsp Flavored Syrup (my favorite is banana)
ice!
Put all ingredients into the blender, blend smooth, and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment